If you are one of my health coach clients or have been following my wellness posts, you know that I stay away from gluten. Does going gluten free mean you must give up bread? I certainly don’t think so. No need to sacrifice the toasty warm bread factor by going gluten free. Today I am sharing a dining table’s essential, a gluten free, the Nutrient Rich Bread.When my clients decide she or he is ready to try an elimination diet to find out what exactly it is that their gut is irritated by, the first thing I advise is to remove gluten along with other common ingredients causing inflammation. First week is challenging for most people as they are going through the detox period. By the second week however, they are beginning to feel much better with heaps of energy they haven’t felt in years, not to mention losing inches mostly around their belly. Witnessing such results, some quickly swears off bread for the rest of their lives. Some others like me, express their adoration for the warmth and the tradition of bread- hence this recipe.
There are three different seeds which promote healthy gut function in this recipe:
- zinc rich pumpkin seeds,
- soluble fiber containing flax seeds and
- anti-inflammatory sunflower seeds.
What makes this bread especially delicious and moist is the sweet potato.The Nutrient Rich Bread is a creation for those wanting a guilt-free healthy bread without sacrificing the bread factor. Loaded with ingredients supporting gut health, I share with you a simple recipe that will become a staple in your dining tables.
- 2 cups of buckwheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 150 g sweet potato (steamed)
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- couple pinches of salt (I use himalaya salt)
- 1/4 cup water
- Steam or boil 150g of peeled sweet potato for 15 minutes or until fully cooked. The time will vary depending on the thickness of the sweet potato. When cooked, remove and cut the potato into 1/4 inch cubes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients: buckwheat flour, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, salt. (Set aside some seeds for sprinkling on top later)
- In a separate bowl crack 2 eggs and whisk.
- Combine the eggs into the dry mix and stir well.
- Slowly add water continuing to stir until it the mix becomes doughy.
- Line a bread pan with parchment paper.
- Pour half of the dough mixture onto the parchment paper in the bread pan, pressing it down with a spoon.
- Layer half of the cubed sweet potatoes on top and repeat – pouring dough and layer the rest of the sweet potatoes on top.
- Pour rest of dough mixture in the pan on top of sweet potatoes spreading and pressing the dough down until top is flat.
- Sprinkle flax, sunflower and pumpkin seeds on top pressing them into the loaf.
- Sprinkle water on top of the seed. This will help the seeds to set into the loaf.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 50 minutes on 190°C.
- Remove from oven and let it cool in room temperature before slicing.
Enjoy with coconut butter, nut butter, or honey. It’s absolutely guilt-free and uber delicious!