- constituting, relating to, or following a diet of whole pure prepared foods that is based on Taoist principles of the balance of yin and yang.
I have a newfound love for red rice. Its unique sweet and nutty flavor draws me all in. The consistency is chewy yet softer than other whole grains. I seriously do not know why I haven’t t been cooking with them since eons.
Red cargo rice, contains higher fiber than brown rice and is also an antioxidant! (you know how I love foods that nourish my skin ^^) They are used in diabetics menu for its low glycemic index and glycemic load; often found in Macrobiotic menus along with brown rice to reduce symptoms of inflammation, prevent cancer and weight loss management.
Health Benefits of Whole Grains (confirmed by repeated scientific studies):
protects against heart disease
lowers risk of heart failure
reduces blood pressure
stroke risk reduced 30-36%
type 2 diabetes risk reduced 21-30%
lowers risk of pancreatic, breast and colorectal cancer
You guys are in for a treat. I am kicking it up a notch in the senses department by adding cardamom and clove to boil the rice. (Their health benefits deserve a post of its own- another time.) This is something I learned while in India and studying Ayurveda. You will love the sweet yet toasty aroma while boiling the rice together with cardamom and clove.
Entree | can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner | Serves 5
- 2 cups of red cargo rice, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 4 1/4 cups of water
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 8 whole, dried cardamom
- 8 whole, dried clove
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 carrot, chopped
- 10 florets, broccoli
- 10 florets, cauliflower
- delicious option: Essential Dressing on top *recipe from blog
- Discard the water that’s been soaking the rice overnight. Use fresh water.
- Bring rice, cardamom, clove and water to boil.
- Add 1 pinch of sea salt.
- Cover and lower flame to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Toss and stir in onion, carrot, broccoli and cauliflower
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, let it cool for few minutes.
- Remove cardamom and cloves.
- Delicious option: serve with the Essential Dressing.